Monday, August 6, 2007

Sawatdee Kaa Kitty!

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to continue with my posts with the news articles I find amusing. But when I saw this one today, I couldn't help myself.


Thai police plan to shame renegade officers by making them wear pink "Hello Kitty" armbands. "

(Hello) Kitty is a cute icon for young girls. It's not something macho police officers want covering their biceps," Col. Pongpat Chayaphan tells the Associated Press. He says anyone who litters, arrives late or parks illegally will be subject to the unorthodox punishment.

"Simple warnings no longer work. This new twist is expected to make them feel guilt and shame and prevent them from repeating the offense, no matter how minor," Pongpat says.

If the "Hello Kitty" treatment doesn't work, the Bangkok Recorder says repeat offenders will go before a special panel that can impose additional punishments.

I can only imagine what additional punishments an officer can look forward to after the dreaded "Hello Kitty Armband Punishment." Possibly wearing a t-shirt that reads, "I [heart] David Hasselhoff!"

2 comments:

Emma said...

Heh. God, this is so weird!

HLW said...

I know! Thanks for being my one true fan!