Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Day Ten - Cape Town

Today I had to get up super, super early (3:45 am)! Because I went on a safari! Cape Town has a limited amount of game reserves really close by, so the place I went wasn't really huge but it was a good first safari ever place to go.

I was picked up at about 4:45 am from the house and arrived at the Aquilla Game Reserve at about 7:45. We were greeted with a "wake up drink" of sparkling white wine, registered and then had breakfast. I met a really nice girl from New Zealand who was on holiday by her self and on the bus with me. We hung out all day together which was nice cause I can handle being alone, but having someone else to talk to is much better. At about 9 o'clock we loaded up in the Land Rovers and started the adventure. We saw buffalo, springboks, zebras, giraffes, elephants, hippo, rhinos, and lions. The game reserve is trying to establish it's animal population, so there weren't loads of some animals. But I didn't care. I was just so happy to have the chance to see everything in a semi-wild environment. Half way through the safari we had a little break to stretch our legs and to have a glass of champagne. It was hilarious standing around next to the zebras and girraffe, sipping champagne and feeling like I was so far removed from my "normal" life.

After the safari we got the chance to pet more cheetahs, so I definitely did that again. I mean, how many times will I get to do that in DC?

We then were fed lunch at the lodge and I ran into the Scottish guys. So we all had lunch together and hung out a bit before we daytrippers had to get back on the bus to go home. When I got home we had a group of kids come to the house for Halloween. There were about 15 of they and they were so cute.

No comments: