Monday, April 9, 2007

Holiday

Now that I'm starting a new blog and finally figured out how to post things, here is the update since last month. I celebrated my 30th birthday with a restaurant full of friends, then we danced the night away. It was a pretty good night! A few days after that I left for my European holiday with my sister, Torie. We had an awesome time and I'm sure I have already bored my friends with my numerous stories.

So, now I am back to my normal life and work. Which, by the way, is super busy or at least it is for me. On my way home today on the metro I started to think about how I wished my life could always be vacation. I guess it wouldn't be vacation than it would just be my life but that was what I thought. I was also thinking that, for me at least, I am a different person when I am on holiday . Not that I am not myself, but more myself. In my everyday life I wake up early, go to work, come home to eat dinner alone and then go to bed. When I wake up for work the next day I have the feeling that I never left work, since I was just there. Of course I do see my friends and have fun on the weekend, I'm not a completely sad shell of a person. But you see what I mean? Everyday life is pretty mundane.

But on holiday, I don't mind getting up because I have a whole day of fun and exploring to do. Normal things like drinking coffee or buying fruit seem so much more exotic, well at least on most holidays. Staying up late doesn't seem to phase me because it isn't a school night and sleeping in is always an option.

And it isn't just your normal day to day life that changes, your personality changes a bit too! In a good way of course (at least for most people). I'm pretty content with my life. I think once I got over all the depression from the last year, not from turning thirty, I realized that even if my life isn't what I had imagined when I was little. It is still pretty great! But on a day to day basis, I feel that I can be slightly average and not too exciting. I know it is a shock. On holiday, I find that my inhibitions tend to be a bit more lose. Nothing too crazy, you perverts! For example, my girls friends said before I left on vacation to be sure to kiss a few boys while I was in Europe. I think Hills actually said to bring one home in a suitcase. I don't know if they were joking or not, but when I found a super cute foreign boy their words echoed in my brain and I had to kiss him! In my everyday life I would have wanted to, but I might have stopped myself (maybe).

I'm not saying that I regret any of the kisses in Europe, not even the 20 year old. Anne, I'll tell you about that later. What I am saying is that now that I'm home and dealing with reality and my everyday life, I wish I were on vacation kissing that cute Aussie. And sadly I am no longer on holiday.

No comments: